A few days ago, in response to this post about the end of my dalliance with Writer Guy, Bee commented that it seemed like I have really good taste in men. It’s kind of a weird compliment, but I totally loved it.
‘Cause, you know? I really do. I have dated some eccentric and generally awesome dudes.
A year or so ago, a group of girlfriends and I made these online quizzes, where we made up questions about ourselves and tested each other to see who knew whom* best. One of my questions was about the professions of the guys I’d dated. I present to you a list:
- Patent attorney (and not just any patents, but crazy high-tech science patents, like DNA sequencing and other things I don’t fully understand)
- Screenwriter (x2 – two separate screenwriters, that is, although also 2 or 3 rounds with screenwriter #2. and by the way, screenwriter #2 has an actual movie-in-the-theaters coming out this summer, which is way crazy. naturally, my friends and I are going to boycott it**)
- professional hang-glider (such a thing exists. who knew?)
- rodeo cowboy (seriously!)
- population control activist (he once biked in a loop around the entire East Coast to raise awareness of population issues)
- Ex-con (OK, so this one is conjecture. but based on what I know about him, I’d put even money on it)
It’s a good reminder, on those days when I feel down about being single. I’m not so unlovable: these odd, interesting men have found me odd and interesting too. It’s not unfathomable that it will happen again.
*Did I use whom correctly? That’s one I can never remember. But I’m a total expert on affect vs. effect and its vs. it’s.
**And by “boycott,” I mean “Go to see it the night it opens and make disparaging comments about the dialogue”